Saturday 4 January 2014

Boat names - the good, the bad and the offensive.


I didn’t like my boat’s name. 

When I moved onboard, ‘Herbie No. 2’ was painted down the sides. The Herbie part was acceptable but  ‘No. 2’  was almost a deal breaker. Yes, I was disgruntled that it wasn’t the first boat to have that name but the main problem was that it was a euphemism for feces. 

My first boat came with a name I disliked too - ‘Th’owd Brid.” It sounded like a Welsh Prostitute.

One of the worst things about buying a used boat (other than the endless, outgoing tsunami-esque flow of finances) is that you inherit a name that has nothing to do with you. The original owner gets to pick the name that is most meaningful to them. For reasons best known to them, my boats’ original owners wanted to express to the universe their fondness for older Welsh women and magical cars.

Unlike my previous life in a flat, I have an emotional connection to my home now. I  get to take my home with me wherever I go and, if I sometimes decide I don’t like where I am, within minutes I can be on the way to somewhere better. I find the knowledge that I have that choice to be incredibly empowering.  Wherever I lay my boat, that’s my home. I love my boat.

Last year, ‘Herbie No. 2’ was repainted and I could not have been more delighted when, early in the preparation process, Dave the painter sanded the old name off the sides. Now I could call it anything I liked.

I’d been told 100 times that it was unlucky to change the name of a boat whilst it’s in the water. I’m not at all superstitious, however, and suspect this to be a cynical rumour put about by opportunistic crane operators looking to exploit the gullible.

I was resolute. My boat was having a proper name and it was not coming out of the water.

I didn’t know what to call it though.

Firstly, I thought about a song lyric. 

This will be a subject for a later blog but, unbeknownst to them, the  band Gomez played a critical role in my transition from flat dweller to water gypsy.  In 2008, I saw them perform a show in Louisville, Kentucky; it started a chain of events which, less than 2 weeks later, resulted in my purchase of ‘Th’Owd Brid.‘ Now faced with the opportunity to rename 'Herbie No. 2,'  my first thought was to pay tribute by calling it ‘Gomez’ or ‘Shot Shot’, the title of my then favourite  Gomez song.

Some boats have great names; others don’t. Some boats have names that reflect their owner’s creativity; others have names that reflect a lack of owner-creativity.

I am a perfectionist and I needed the perfect name. I became obsessed with the possibilities.

One of my first contenders for the world’s greatest boat name was. ‘Eskimo Roll.’  Excited by my own genius, I touted it around as a possibility and - more often that not - was met with blank, confused expressions.  

If I wanted to go the funny route, I needed something simpler.

I thought about having an orange paint job and calling it ‘Easyboat’ ....

..... or ‘Sainsburys.’

I don’t like orange though.

‘Hogwarts’ Express.’

Maybe not. Children would shout out everywhere I went.

‘Permission to Moor Here.’

Possible point of contention with CRT.

‘Costa Concordia.’

..... because someone else already had ‘Titanic.’

‘Tourettes.’

Seemed apt, especially as it was a condition I now possessed as a direct result of buying a boat.

I wanted to be different. That, for me, was fundamental but I didn’t want to be too ridiculous. Otherwise, I’d risk being known as the boating world's answer to Bob Geldof.

I wondered what kind of response I’d get from the towpath if I drove up the GU with ‘Al Qaeda’ painted on the sides? Would my unusual sense of irony be lost on the public?

Dave, the painter, told me he was thinking about calling his boat ‘The Red Herring.’ His boat was bright blue. I liked his thinking.

The trouble with choosing a funny name is that the joke stops being funny very quickly. 

So I thought about a simpler angle, naming it after things I like:

‘Chicken Tikka Massala.’

‘Mick McManus.’

‘Felacio.’

The re-painting of my boat was completed over a year ago  and I still haven’t decided on a name. 

I’m still thinking about it but actually I quite like the anonymity and mystery of being ‘The Boat WIth No Name.’ Maybe I’ll call it that.

I’d be interested in hearing about your favourite and least favourite boat names. If you have a moment and the motivation, feel free to post a comment.

Joel
Jan 4th, 2014

19 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this, very funny. Especially the suggestion of 'Felacio'. hahaha. I once saw a 50" narrowboat, called 'Phiphtyphut'. ( in case anyone is struggling with that, you have to read it out loud). A plastic cruiser called 'Passing Wind' didn't raise quite so much of a smile.
    I really hope you find the right name for your boat - one that encompasses your obvious wit and good humour.
    Ours was called Flamin NV when we bought her. She's now called Ladybird, just nicd and simple and suits her and us very well.
    All the very best
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being the first to comment, Jane. Ladybird is a sweet and cool name. Keep an eye out for Ladybird 2
      x

      Delete
  2. I have seen some really awful and depressing boat names: Last Chance, Cirrhosis of the River, Gerry Hat Trick, Spending my Kids Inheritance. There are more. Dreadful and no respect for the boat at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a Cirrhosis of the River once. If boats have feelings it's disrespectful I suppose. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for writing, Dr H

      Delete
    2. As the proud owner of a boat called Last Chance I am disappointed that you find it disrespectful - I have had many people saying what a good name it is so you're probably in a minority..... I don't know why she was called Last Chance and I was considering changing her name but I have grown used to it now and have even decided on art work for when she is repainted.

      Out of interest what is your boat called? Or what names do you approve of ?

      Delete
  3. We were lucky, our second hand boat was called 'Willow'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Willow here. It's had that name since it was built in 1935 and I don't intend to change it.

    Amy

    www.severnerwillow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why would you? A charming name. How would you be with a Willow No 2 though?

      Delete
  5. Hi, I hope you find a name you like, loved reading your blog. My boat is called Witchcraft, as my husband is a witch and my boat is a craft. Very personal to us. The boat was called Baccara, when we had her. It is supposed to be a spanish rose or something silimar. We changed the name while she was still in the water and we also changed my son's boat name while she was still in the water, and up to now we have been fine. All the best.
    Jenine de Leie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenine .... and if a bonafide witch doesn't believe we should take a boat out of the water to rename it, the rest of us should definitely take note

      Delete
  6. Our boat was originally named Rabosa ?????????? haven't the foggiest idea why. The previous owner renamed it "Fine N Dandy" named after his dog grooming business and the broker had the cheek to say he wanted an extra £1k if we wanted to keep the name. She is now called "Sweetheart" as it's my favourite term of endearment for anyone/thing female, (sorry if that offends some of you ladies). My first boat was called "Dessa"; I never quite found out where that came from but liked it enough to retain it until I sold her!
    Good luck with your choice of names, we have one near here called "Soddam Hall" which I find quite amusing!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to confess the best name for a boat i saw was a little unloved looking cruiser moored at Great Hayward whilst on a boating holiday. It was called R Sole. The couple in it obviously loved it dearly as I asked permission to take a photo of the name as I didn't want to offend them, but it was in much need of TLC on the outside and did look a lot like it's name

    ReplyDelete
  8. our 1st boat was called iona, 2nd boat was spring sunset, hope you find a name that suits :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's about what we did, a pub contest with a small prize for the best name suggestion. Mind you in the end Skipper came up with the idea on a bar mat while everyone else was thinking about it. Cue puns on the 'snail' bit of the resulting name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Based on your humor, may I suggest "The Sarcy Cut"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if you want to be pedantic and spell it correctly: "The Sarky Cut"

      Delete
  11. I find myself being annoyed regularly at being less than unique (including boat name, Tortoise), but I also get annoyed at just how many people there are out there...

    I was amused to see this, as we know the crew of one Herbie, had seen your boat in Apsley Marina, and I'm pretty sure we saw a 'Herbie 3' in Braunston Marina once...

    A useful (if inevitably always a bit out of date) way of checking prospective names is here:

    http://canalplan.eu/boats/boats.php

    Top tip - avoid 'Kingfisher' and 'Dreamcatcher'... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seen a Boat in Mumbles, Swansea called "Itchy Pussy" Brilliant I thought..

    ReplyDelete