Wednesday 22 January 2014

You live on a WHAT?


When I became a boater, I was convinced that my new identity would reinforce my quirky & eccentric image. It definitely did that but that was only a part of the story. Like most of us, I’m fascinated to know how others perceive me. Perhaps I’m wrong but it’s my impression that most Muggles see boaters as objects of either mystery, envy or fear.

The mysterious element is most obvious when I am traveling through a busy lock with a curious crowd -  perhaps Broadway Market on a Saturday or Camden on any day you care to pick. 

In my early days of boating, the gawping eyes and camera phones stroked my ego but, once that novelty had worn off, it started to annoy me. I went through a fairly lengthy, self-righteous phase of dramatically taking photographs of everyone on the towpath who pointed a phone or camera in my direction. Ironically, those who seemed most surprised were usually the Japanese tourists. (I’ve always wondered how they’d cope visiting an Amish village).

Nowadays, I have developed my shepherding skills and learned to harness the enthusiasm of any onlookers. While the lock is filling / emptying, I can  be seen at my most charming - chatting away, and answering questions. Once the lock is set, as a special treat, the spectators - with the kind of eagerness usually associated with an unexpected  wild dolphin swim - heave and sweat away at the gates as I drive off into the mire.

The envy component is perhaps the most obvious one. The relaxing, floaty boaty life - that spiritual, life extending escape from the burdens of traditional living - is a perception that lulled many boaters to move onto the water in the first place. That was certainly my motivation. One of the first lessons I learned, however, was that not everyone had been ‘seduced’ onto the water. Many boaters have told me they had been driven to the lifestyle through financial problems. I remain an idealist though. As far as I’m concerned, this is a lifestyle upgrade - perhaps, for me, because it was a choice. ‘Angry Boater’ mode or otherwise, my boating reality has always be experienced through that filter.

Those who behave towards boaters with fear, oddly, are sometimes other boaters.

Last summer, I had a strange encounter on the Oxford Canal. I was in a lock and another boat was waiting to come the other way. The other boater was standing by the gate, helping me work the lock. We were talking amicably until he asked where my home mooring was and I told him that I didn’t have one.

“It’s all about to change for YOU,” he practically shouted. “ I’m on the boater’s forum and you’re not going to be doing THAT for much longer.”

I am not sure what aspect of not having a home mooring he objected so strongly to but I stayed friendly, tried to empathize and  introduced myself. When I asked him his name - and what forum he meant  - explaining that I was curious to learn more about his predictions for my future, he turned even more red and snapped, “Don’t you be worrying about THAT!”

It was probably the first time I’d had cause to reflect on a ‘Them and us’ dynamic existing amongst boaters. I wish I’d gotten to the bottom of his angst but I didn’t. All I can do is hypothesize.

Obviously, he had a home mooring but what was his resentment? 

Did he hate the fact that he was paying for a marina and I was free from that burden? 

Or was he expressing his own fear of living on the cut full time? 

When I started boating, I lived in a marina and, like many of my neighbours, I soon became institutionalized. I paid a lot of money to stay there, partly because I was scared. I believed it was better to be here - jammed between other boats - than on the scary outside. I even recall reading a British Waterways’ pamphlet which referred to the cut as “bandit country,” which reinforced my desire to stay exactly where I was.

Moving onto the cut full time, for me, was a gradual experience. For 2 years, I plucked up the courage to travel in the summer months but I still continued to pay for winter moorings. Eventually, however, I unplugged my shoreline for good. 

As for non-boaters, the fear-factor is sometimes manifested through a perception that living afloat is either lonely, unsafe, unsanitary or uncomfortable. Of course, all those fears have some justification behind them. Ultimately, it depends on your boat,  what you do and how you do it. Living afloat isn’t for everyone. Sometimes, it’s challenging.

For me, that’s the appeal. I’ve learned new skills, faced my fears, become more self reliant and explored beyond my comfort zone. It takes more effort to live like this. The reward for that effort, however, is that I now feel so much more alive and, for the first time, I have an emotional connection with my home.  I love living in different places, being around other boaters, feeding swans by hand from my side hatch, sitting on a beanbag on my roof in the summer with a book and a bottle of wine, exploring different towns, cities and villages and setting my own pace and destiny. 

As for that boater I met on the Oxford Canal, I’d still love to know what that was about. As he’s “on the boater’s forum,” perhaps he’ll read this. If that’s you, don’t be a stranger.


Joel
Jan 22nd, 2013

7 comments:

  1. I've done both, in terms of "home" moorings within a marina, and the carefree lifestyle you speak of with such passion. For me (more so, my hubby) it ultimately boiled down to practicalities; him being near work, coming home late, tired from work and wanting to flop in front of the tv, with no issues of running gennies or the engine unsociably, etc.

    But during the times we have managed some "real" cruising - and we did this on our honeymoon - the lifestyle was amazing. The joy of waking up somewhere new each day, different views, etc, etc.

    Love your blog! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Bex. We all have to do what's practucal for ourselves . Deciding to cruise continuously , for me, necessitated other lifestyle changes first of all. I dramatically changed my working circumstances, sold my car , bought a folding bike etc. I also did a lot of work to my boat. It wasn't an overnight decision.

      Delete
  2. Great post as usual and food for thought! As a recent boater and a continuous cruiser, I must admit to being a little wary/suspicious about those with residential moorings.

    I understand why someone might want the security (literally) of a residential mooring - of an electrical hook up and being safe in the knowledge that you don't have to battle for somewhere to moor up and everything else that a residential mooring has to offer.

    But I can't help but wonder if you want the benefits of on-shore/off-boat living, why not just live in a house?

    And please don't take that in the wrong way! I am genuinely curious. Of course, you have the ability to just take off when you like but then you're paying for a mooring that I dare say, particularly for those in London, is costing an arm and a leg.

    For me, the whole point in living on a boat is boating and to explore the canals and that is what I do. Sometimes I'll stay in a mooring for the maximum 14 days, other times a week and sometimes less, even if I am allowed to stay longer. I enjoy cruising the canals, I enjoy seeing new places regularly and revisiting parts of London I've already been to and loved. I love the challenge that the continuous cruise license puts upon me - to live with restrictions and ensuring my impact on the earth is somewhat limited.

    The continuous cruise license for me enforces the ultimate freedom and even if I was in a financially better position to afford an expensive residential mooring, I'm not sure I would take that option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alastair. Well, it comes to many factors I suppose - institutionalisation, jobs, family commitments and also the need for many to be a part of a consistent community - something else that a marina provides.

      Some people use the marina as a base and still cruise extensively. Others never move at all. The choice exists for all and - whichever way you decide to do it - there are pros and cons.

      I'm not wary or suspicious of people in marinas. I have plenty of friends in marinas. Ultimately, we all do what is right for us.

      Delete
  3. Horses for courses, as the cliché says. It's a pity there has be an "us" and "them" be it among boaters, or indeed with the wider world, be it continuous cruisers versus residential moorers, be it narrowboats versus cruisers, be it those with pump-out versus those with a cassette.

    Except for those doing it for financial reasons (and I'd question the economy of that in the long run), we all obviously like life on the water. I love it. I'm on a marina. I happen to have a fantastic mooring, my big windows overlooking a tree-lined bank of an island designated a conservation area. I would have to be in the Paul Daniels/Michael Parkinson league to have a house on the Thames at nearby Henley with similar views.

    Amidst barges, cruisers, widebeams and, of course, narrowboats, I have found no arrogance or ill-feeling among the quite different characters who own them - indeed the opposite, helped along, mind you, by the marina bar with its usual pub activities and more!

    Maybe I like being "institutionalised" - but that's the course for this horse just now.

    Thank you Joel for your insights, the expression of which it is hoped will bring more understanding and harmony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim. Oddly, the "them and us" hostility between different types of boats is something I didn't get a tiny hint of on The Thames. I have seen plenty of that elsewhere though.

      Sounds like you have an awesome mooring there.

      Delete
  4. Ok, perhaps I used the wrong words. Wary and suspicion were the wrong words! More 'confusion', perhaps! Or maybe jealousy?

    In my short time on my boat, I've found boaters to be an incredible group of people and with the odd exception (the thieving bastard who took the Little Venice pump out pipe!), absolutely selfless and very helpful. I find it amazing that such a community can exist but exist it does and I'm glad to be a part of it.

    Looking forward to the next one, Joel!

    ReplyDelete